I recently published a for loaded air fried chicken and potatoes on my primary blog and tons of mentioned they looked like .
So, I thought I should pay homage to the classic with a healthier copycat that can be prepped in the microwave.
Here’s a look at how things turned out:
The Original : 240 calories, 3 grams of protein, 29 grams of carbs, and 12 grams of fat
Copycat Microwavable : 182 calories, 10 grams of protein, 18 grams of carbs, and 7 grams of fat (with an option to reduce the fat and calories even further)
You’ll get a protein boost, save some carbs and calories, and you won’t be tempted to order other things off the menu by going with the .
What are ?
If you’ve never heard of these potatoes, they’re crispy . topped with and
In recent years, has been using more and more throughout their menu (like in the or Cheesy Toasted Breakfast Burrito) and these has quickly risen in popularity.
While they may not be as popular as cinnamon twists or , it’s a that we hope is here to stay.
How to Make Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes in the Microwave
Traditionally, this type of dish would turn into , which would then be baked in the oven or deep-fried like hash browns to achieve that crispy texture.
However, for this , we’re want to keep things simple. We’re going to use canned potatoes and a microwave to speed the process without sacrificing any of the flavor you’d expect from a dish.
This has a short ingredient list other than a few spices. Here’s everything you’ll need:
- a can of diced new potatoes (you could also use frozen diced hash browns)
- plain fat free Greek yogurt
- your choice of
- reduced fat shredded cheddar or your choice of
Obviously, using canned potatoes or even hash browns means you’ll lose some of the crisp that the original has. But with all the spics we’re adding, you’ll hardly notice these aren’t the same , especially if you top this dish with delicious .
Speaking of spices, you’ll need black pepper, and ranch dip seasoning if you have those on hand as well., and paprika. You can also use a bit of
Since this , hot sauce, or anything else you can think of. is such a simple one, you can spice it up even more with ,
If you make this more than once (because who doesn’t want cheesy potatoes ALL the time?) you’ll be able to experiment with the ratios as needed.
Add more , we promise not to judge. or
And I think that’s all you need to know. I’ll include notes on other ingredient modifications in the card below. If you make these , I wanna see them.
Grab a photo and tag me on Instagram @mugsformuscles or join my free Facebook group and share it with everyone.
More Recipes You Might Like
If you’re a true Taco Bell fan, you know how great their Cheesy Gordita Crunch is. That’s why I made a healthier copycat of that as well. Go check out my Healthy Cheesy Gordita Crunch recipe to double up the protein of the original.
If you’re searching for another southwest inspired recipe, my chipotle cheddar or Mexican mug cornbread may be right up your alley.
Microwavable Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes (In Under 5 Minutes)
A simple, lower-calorie copycat recipe for the Taco Bell Fiesta Potatoes.
- 1/2 C (122g) Canned Diced New Potatoes, drained
- 2 Tbsp (28g) Fat Free Greek Yogurt, plain
- 2 Tbsp (30g) Salsa
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 C (28g) Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Drain potatoes and add to a small bowl or mug. Microwave, covered, for 75 seconds.
- In a small bowl, mix the Greek yogurt, salsa, and spices together until smooth. Add half the cheese to the mixture.
- Fold the salsa, yogurt, and cheese mixture into the potatoes.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Microwave for 30-60 seconds or until the cheese melts. Avoid overcooking as Greek yogurt may curdle if cooked too long.
- You can use frozen diced hash browns in place of canned potatoes, though you'll need to let them thaw or microwave a bit longer before adding the other ingredients.
- If you use taco seasoning and ranch dip seasoning, use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of each.
- Swap reduced fat cheese for fat free cheese to save an additional 45 calories and 5 grams of fat.
Serving Size1 bowl
Amount Per Serving Calories 182Total Fat 7gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 18gProtein 10g