How great does a giant bowl of cheesy, meaty, marinara-ey pasta sound? Well, these low carb bowls aren’t that, but they’re darn close! This recipe delivers on all fronts except the pasta part, using cauliflower rice instead.
You could also use microwaved spaghetti squash if you wanted noodles and have a bit more time.
The entire recipe makes two low carb bowls with 305 calories, 27 grams of protein, and only 20 carbs each. Each bowl is meaty, cheesy, spicy marinara-ey, and super filling. And even better, everything is prepped and on the table in about ten minutes.
What You’ll Need for These Italian Chicken Sausage Low Carb Bowls
You can get a look at almost everything I used in the photo below.
- frozen cauliflower rice
- lower calorie marinara
- Italian chicken sausage
- chili garlic sauce and shredded parmesan (not pictured)
Feel free to get creative and swap things in or out. That’s the beauty of simple meals like these.
The chicken sausage I used has 9 grams of fat and 16 grams of fat per link, for comparison. You may be able to find a lower fat option, and you can probably find a lower carb marinara. I’ll include a few modification suggestions in the recipe card’s notes section below.
For now, that’s about all you need to know. I’ll keep it sweet and simple, just like my recipes.
- 12 oz bag Frozen Cauliflower Rice
- 3/4 C (180g) Lower Calorie Marinara
- 1 Tbsp (15g) Chili Garlic Sauce, optional
- 1/4 C (28g) Shredded Parmesan
- 2 links Italian Chicken Sausage, fully cooked (I used Member's Mark Mozzarella and Roasted Garlic)
- Microwave the cauliflower rice in its package for 5-6 minutes.
- While the rice is in the microwave, use a knife to thinly slice the sausage.
- Once the cauliflower rice has cooked, drain any excess liquid and add it to a large bowl. Stir in the marinara and optional chili garlic sauce (you could add minced garlic and crushed red pepper instead).
- Top with marinara cauliflower rice with the shredded parmesan and sausage slices. Microwave for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted. Enjoy!
- You can use any Italian chicken sausage. Al Fresco makes a Sweet Italian, roasted garlic, and roasted red pepper and asiago that would work great.
- If you want to reduce the fat and calorie content, omit the shredded parmesan altogether or use grated fat free parmesan cheese sparingly.
- And if you wanted to use a pasta style carb source instead of the cauliflower rice, check out my guide on cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave.
Serving Size1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 305Total Fat 13gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 20gProtein 27g
More Low Carb Microwavable Recipes You Might Like
My loaded omelet mug biscuit is a great way to start the day. You’ll also find a low carb biscuit mix in this recipe that will change your low carb breakfast game in a major way.