Pumpkin gets a ton of love this time of year, but I’ve tried to make it a point to show some love to the not-so-famous fall staple, apples. This love recently came in the form of a Apple Crisp Pie that will rock you to your core. But my goal with Mugs for Muscles is to provide quick and easy recipes, and this microwave apple crisp is just that.
In about five minutes, you’ll have a 146-calorie apple crisp that’s the perfect vehicle for ice cream, Greek yogurt, whipped cream, or anything else you throw at it. You’ll only need five ingredients other than an apple, and I’ll briefly run through them below to give you ideas for modifying as needed.
Microwave Apple Crisp Ingredients
First and foremost, feel free to use any apple you’d like. I opted for a Fuji apple because they tend to work well as a baking apple. And while this apple crisp is microwaved, it can’t hurt.
As for the apple peel, I tested recipes with the peel on and off. I like both, but the recipe calls for peeling the apple.
Walden Farms Pancake Syrup
I don’t love many of their products, but the pancake syrup and most of the flavored pancake syrups are great. If you don’t have access to Walden Farms, any sugar free pancake syrup will do here. Also, you’ll only need two tablespoons so using regular pancake syrup or maple syrup won’t add that many calories.
Apple Crisp Topping
Here’s everything you’ll need along with a quick note on modifying:
- quick oats – any type of oats will work but may affect cook time slightly
- graham cracker crumbs – more info in the recipe card below on alternatives
- light butter – unsweetened apple sauce may work but the crisp will be softer
- apple pie spice – a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and a few other spices (cinnamon works fine)
If you have the calories to spare, I recommend adding chopped pecans or some type of nuts to the mix. The apple crisp pie I mentioned above uses pecan pieces and no graham cracker crumbs.
That’s All Ya Need to Know
If you have any questions, drop a comment below.
And as always, if you make this microwave apple crisp, I wanna see it. Snap a pic of your apple crisp and tag me on Instagram @mugsformuscles or join my free Facebook group and share it with the crew.
- 100 g Apple, peeled and diced (I used Fuji)
- 2 Tbsp (30g) Walden Farms Pancake Syrup, or sugar free pancake syrup
- 1 Tbsp (14g) Light Butter, I used Land O' Lakes
- 1 Tbsp (5g) Quick Oats
- 1 Tbsp (8g) Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/4 tsp Apple Pie Spice, or cinnamon on its own
- Peel and dice a small to medium apple before adding to a mug with the pancake syrup. Stir well. (You can leave the peel on the apple if you'd like.)
- Microwave for 75-90 seconds or until the apple softens.
- In a separate bowl, mix the butter, oats, graham cracker crumbs, and apple pie spice. You can also add a bit of stevia or calorie free sweetener if you'd like.
- One the mixture looks like wet sand or an uncooked granola, add the crisp on top of the apples. Microwave for an additional 90 seconds.
- Let the apple crisp cool for a minute or two. Top with fat free whipped cream, low cal ice cream, or any toppings you'd like.
- If you don't have access to graham cracker crumbs, you can omit, use flour, crushed cereal or sweet crackers, or try swapping chopped nuts like in my apple crisp pie recipe.
Serving Size1 apple crisp
Amount Per Serving Calories 146Total Fat 7gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 20gProtein 1g
More Recipes You Might Like
Since we’re showing apples some love, my Cinnamon Toast Crunch Protein Butter is an excellent nut-free apple dipper.
And I’d be remiss if I failed to mention another unsung hero—unsweetened apple sauce. My High Protein Mug Blondie combines apple sauce, brown sugar, and protein powder to make a delicious blondie that’s ready in minutes.