This microwave French toast is perfect for the calorie conscious person that needs a healthy breakfast quick, fast, and in a hurry. With only five ingredients, this simple recipe is a perfect blank canvas you can put your own spin on to keep breakfast interesting. I’ve put a blueberry almond spin on this version, but I’ll include a few suggestions for topping combos in the recipe notes below.
Ingredients for Microwave French Toast
As I mentioned above, the microwave French toast itself only calls for five ingredients. I’ll get to the bread in a second, but a few notes on the other ingredients and toppings first.
To keep the recipe as simple as possible, I used pumpkin pie spice which is a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. If you’d rather add each ingredient on your own to fit your flavor profile, be my guest.
For the sweetener, I used a bit of stevia. But if you’re familiar with Swerve, I think the powdered sugar replacement would be amazing in this microwave French toast recipe. You can check out my birthday cake microwave cake to see Swerve in action.
I topped my microwave French toast with blueberries and almonds, but you could take this a thousand different directions. Here are a few ideas:
- sliced strawberries and fat free whipped cream
- banana and crushed walnuts
- apple slices with pecans and added cinnamon
- peanut butter or PB2 powdered peanut butter
- sugar free cherry or apple pie filling (like I used in these microwavable protein pies)
Okay, that’s enough to get you started. If you put your own creative spin on this recipe, tag me in your creation on Instagram.
The Best Bread for French Toast
Nearly every French toast recipe in the world will call for brioche, challah, potato, sourdough, or maybe French bread. So you might be surprised to see this recipe calls for plain ol’ multigrain bread.
The way I see it, if you’re a French toast purist, you’re not going to be making it in the microwave. Using multigrain bread goes a long way in improving the macros (fewer carbs and calories, more protein and fiber) of this recipe.
This doesn’t mean we’re making a meh French toast. I think you’ll be surprised by how satisfying this mug of French toast can be.
Microwave French Toast
Super simple low calorie microwave french toast topped with blueberries and almonds.
- 1 slice Multigrain Bread, or your choice of bread
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (23g) Liquid Egg Whites
- 2 Tbsp (30mL) Walden Farms Pancake Syrup, or any sugar free syrup or sticky sweetener
- 1 tsp Stevia or Low Cal Sweetener
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/4 C (35g) Blueberries
- 1 Tbsp (7g) Sliced Almonds
- Mix the egg whites, syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and stevia in a mug or small bowl.
- Tear the bread into bite-size pieces and add to the mug. Gently stir until the bread is fully coated in the egg white/syrup mixture.
- Microwave for 60-75 seconds or until no liquid remains in the bottom of the mug.
- Top with blueberries and almonds (or any toppings you'd like). Enjoy!
- Macros for microwave french toast only without toppings: 122 calories, 8 grams of protein, 20 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fat (with Kroger Multigrain Bread - 110 cals, 6p, 20c, 2f per slice)
Serving Size1 Mug
Amount Per Serving Calories 190Total Fat 6gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 26gProtein 10g
If you try this recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram! I wanna see your creations.
Tuesday 18th of December 2018
This is such a great simple and quick breakfast recipe. I have made it twice over the past few days. I am definitely adding this into my regular breakfast rotation!
Tuesday 18th of December 2018
So happy to hear you're enjoying it. Thanks for the feedback!