Two foods are a cut above when it comes to incorporating pineapple. The first is obviously pizza, and I won’t be told otherwise. That means the second has to be cake. Pineapple upside down cake is the perfect blend of sweet and refreshing. And now, you can have a higher protein pineapple upside down cake in minutes.
We’ll talk pizza later.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Ingredients
As usual, it’s a very simple recipe. You’ll need some sugar-free cake mix which I typically find at Walmart and Kroger. If you have trouble locating it, click here to use Pillsbury’s locate a store function for the cake mix I use.
One important note that I’ve included in the recipe notes pertains to the egg whites. If you’re not accustomed to eating higher protein cakes, you may want to start with using a whole egg instead of the egg whites. As-is, the egg whites give the cake a slight angel food cake texture. It’s still like real cake, just a bit more dense than if you use a whole egg. You’ll only add around 30-40 calories and a few grams of fat to the cake by doing this.
If you add an egg, be sure to cook the cake all the way through for food safety. Since the egg whites are pasteurized, you can slightly undercook the cake to retain moisture.
Beyond the eggxecutive decision you have to make here, it’s pretty much business as usual. I hope this recipe satisfies your pineapple upside down cake cravings!
- Add the pancake syrup to the bottom of a mug and place the slice of pineapple in it. Add the maraschino cherry to the center of the pineapple slice. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cake mix, protein powder, egg whites, and butter until smooth like cake batter.
- Pour the batter on top of the pineapple and microwave for 70-80 seconds or until the center of the cake is cooked through.
- Eat the cake straight out of the mug or flip it upside down on a plate in true pineapple upside down cake fashion.
- If you have the calories available, you may want to use a whole egg in place of the egg whites. You'll have a fluffier cake.
- Cook time is with a 1000w microwave.
Serving Size1 Mug Cake
Amount Per Serving Calories 337Total Fat 8gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 49gProtein 25g
If you try this recipe, be sure to tag us on Instagram! And subscribe to the email list below if you’d like to be notified about new recipes and other happenings on the blog.